Thursday, December 11, 2008

Visit to St. Joseph's Abbey outside of Covington, Louisiana








Yesterday I was able to take off from work and make a visit to St. Joseph's Abbey in St. Benedict, La., which is just outside of Covington, Louisiana. They have a wonderful little gift shop there and I buy a few crosses each year for the rosaries I make. Mass is at 11:15am, so I had the privilege of a attending mass while there. The celebrant priest appeared to have very limited eyesight, and held things within an inch or two of his left eye in order to read. Immediately I could sense he was extraordinarily gifted. He had a beautiful and commanding voice. This was the first time I had attended Mass at St. Joseph's with the seminary students in session, so the stalls were full of young men lending their voices to the chants and hymns of worship. It was a powerful experience. I wrote these thoughts immediately after Mass:
Mass was celebrated by a gifted priest with limited eyesight and no doubt expanded abilities otherwise. The stalls were full of seminary students and the abbey echoed with rich chants and hymns. Who could doubt that Christ is in this place!
In the tabernacle these young men kneel before, silently saying their prayers.
Present in the heart of every person here today- parishioners, seminarians, and monks.
O, holy Eucharist! Jesus, my sweet love! Fire of Jesus, consume me, that I may no longer be dull wood, but flame of your Flame. Consume me O Lord that I may no longer exist,
only embers burning in your Love.
I am consumed by Christ!

No comments: