Friday, May 6, 2011

On the killing of terrorists

There has been much talk about the killing of terrorists this past week and whether or not these things is compatible with Christian living. There is no evidence that I have seen that Jesus Christ would condone the killing of our enemies. Yet we find ourselves in a system protected by people who kill on our behalf. And this is the reason I have not spoken out my position on the Osama affair. Lean close so I don't have to say this loud. I would kill to protect my children. It's true. I'm not sure what Jesus would say about that. Perhaps I would get off the hook for protecting the vunerable people whom God has entrusted to my care. I hope so. And for this reason my judgement of the military's response is seasoned. These things are done on my behalf. Does killing Osama make the world a safer place? I doubt it. Does answering violence with violence reap more violence? You can bet on it. I do believe evil can be defeated without resorting to violence, in fact, it is the only way evil will ultimately be defeated. Defeating evil requires sacrifical love; Christlike love. Would I use lethal force to defend myself? I hope not. I don't think I would be able to take myself seriously as a disciple of Jesus if I would. But for those God has entrusted to my care I would die and, yes, kill for. If Osama desired the death of my family, and let's assume he did, then I would kill him to protect them. I would not kill out of anger, rage, or hatred. I would not celebrate. But I do accept that the protection of my family may one day put me in a situation where I might have to defend them using lethal means. Such things should be done somberly, with prayers to God for forgiveness for doing things that may sometimes seem unavoidable. For these reasons, I withhold as much judgement as I can towards certain governmental and military activity that is genuinely (I hope) done in an effort to provide safety and security to the American citizenry. To completely denounce it would truly make me a hypocrite.

May we pray that the Almighty God have mercy on us all. Let us pray He has mercy on Osama Bin Laden, since surely a God who can mercy on him will have mercy on me. And since I now have demonstrated to you that somewhere in a corner of my heart I am a murderer, you now know how badly I need it.

No comments: