Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Razor setting number 3


I have created a bit of shock at my house recently, having shaved off my beard, which was rather full, after several years of wearing it longer than my wife would prefer. I have worn a beard now in some form or fashion for close to 8 years, so it was a shock to all in the house, including myself, to see my naked chin.
You would think that shaving a beard would be nothing to write about, and I'm not sure that it is. It's just that we put so much emphasis on our appearance, even when our emphasis is on the lack thereof. Beards have been on my radar for many years and often the most intriguing people in the history books are those with the interesting facial hair. My most favorite picture of Frederick Douglas is the one in which he sports his massive beard proudly, and it is that photograph that makes me wonder what a absolute force of nature that he must have been to deal with as a abolitionist. My interest in monasticism is no different. As I search the archives of materials available to us on the web, my restless eyes often stop to stare at those interesting monks with the long beards. What lies behind those eyes? What of spiritual battles would those gray beards tell? Like the rings of a tree, I often read of years gone by in the shades of gray in an old monk's beard. So it is no coincidence I suppose that many of my spiritual heroes are bearded spiritual warriors, with beards far exceeding setting number 3 on their electric razors, if they were to have one.
You can see by now the meanings one might attach to a beard. Anything of this earth could run the risk of becoming an idol, and many times as I enjoyed the benefits of a beard on a winter day I have thought to cut the darn thing off just to prove to myself that I had no unnatural attachment to it. As the weather has gotten warmer many of my homeless brothers have come to the Hope House and made use of the electric trimmers and shaved off their proud winter manes. Having no interest in setting number 3, they have straight down to the skin, not caring for anyone's opinion of their clean shaven face any more than they cared what others thought of a scraggly beard.
So what of this setting on the beard trimmer that I have referred to as setting number 3? It might not be number 3 on your trimmer at home, but you are familiar with the setting. It's the one that's "just right". Not too long, not too short. Every woman finds it sexy, or distinguished, or, even better, appropriate. If you want your facial hair approved by the masses, setting number 3 is just right for you. My wife would love for me to keep my beard trimmed to setting number 3, although her desire to avoid any attempt to control me would never allow her to say so. I am also sure that she must be baffled at why I would go from a long beard to a clean face, buzzing my way right pass setting number 3. Just as setting number 3 means something to the masses, it means something to me. For the masses, the man with the "just right" beard is safe, non-threatening, a little dangerous but not really, sensitive but physiologically proving his body still can produce a little testosterone. We have emasculated the men of our society as we seek for androgynous balance, having somewhere in the 1980's lost any sense of why men ought be different or do anything other with themselves than setting number 3. You might say that freedom of beard length is akin to freedom of conscience, perhaps an outward sign that interiorally you aren't getting out of line. "Excuse me, Doctor, was there any sign that Mr. Smith wasn't going to cooperative with our indoctrination?" "No, none at all. Hair cut above the ears, beard trimmed to setting number 3".
So next time we see a homeless man with an unkempt beard we should ask ourselves what those visual cues mean to us, and what they may mean to him. It is not as I hope you can see, without meaning for any of us. Let us love one another, those with big beards and those clean shaven, and remember, don't drink the kool-aid and stay away from setting number 3.

No comments: